Saturday 21 April 2012

Potato Dauphinoise

Whilst at home, I decided to take advantage of a fridge full of food and so invited my cousin Arlene around for dinner – the parentals didn’t mind of course.
Saturday night so as tradition goes in the Smyth household, steak’s on the menu! Garlic lovers, Arlene and I decided to make our own favourite accompaniments to our steak where I of course was in charge of potatoes. Cheesy, garlicky and so very creamy, there’s no better potato side dish to use than the luxurious potato dauphinoise. Arlene prepared her speciality: breaded garlic mushrooms.
To prepare potato dauphinoise you’ll need:
5 Large potatoes
1x tub of single cream
2x cloves of garlic
200g of grated cheese


Begin by peeling the potatoes and cut into halves. I decided to steam the potatoes as it allows the potatoes to keep hold of their nutrients much better than boiling them. Steam the potatoes for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes take the potatoes from the steamer and cut into equal horizontal slices then place them into a casserole dish. Add grated garlic cloves as well as the grated cheese before pouring evenly the cream onto the potatoes.

Place the potatoes into the prepared oven (200 degrees) for a further 10 minutes.

Whilst waiting I recommend you prepare the table before going to the wine rack and opening a bottle of red. Grapes are one of your five-a-day after all.

1 comment:

  1. I was just about to say Garlic mushrooms but our Arlene is already ahead!
    Couldn't agree more about potato Dauphinoise as an accompaniment. Favourite in our house is Blue cheese on top of the steak! Delicious.
    Really like your use of adjectives in this post.
    Concise instructions. If I could be bothered to slice & steam my spuds I would try this - but alas I'm a slave to champ!
    x

    ReplyDelete