Monday 16 April 2012

Potato Filled Folklore

There are many a wives tale about the potato; some may be true others superstitions whilst others are downright bizzare! Here are my top favourites:

1. To cure toothache, carry a potato in a pocket on the same side of the tooth. As the potato dries, the toothache will fade.

2. Soothe and extract the heat from sunburn or a burn with a raw potato cut in half.

3. Similarly, use slices of raw potato to refresh puffy eyes. This is particularly effective after tears.

4. Pregnant women shouldn't eat potatoes, especially at night, if she wishes her child to have a small head.

My understanding is that these tall-tales or popular beliefs are simply traditions of certain culture or subcultures. They may work or they may be simply farcical, that’s up to the superstitious individual who I guess must receive some sort of psychological comfort adhering to their superstitions. Others I’m sure believe them to be a load of old nonsense. That’s up to you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephen

    I have to say ‘Potato Filled Folklore’ is super informative and funny. I actually read it to my sister as she has both a toothache and she burnt her hand today. Despite my protesting I think she is a tad bit reluctant to try the potato remedies you have suggested…never mind! I will make sure I pass on these tips to my friends and family. Also the same thing happened to me when I went British library! I think the British library need to advertise their entry requirements on massive billboards across London for all students and new users to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmin,

    Thank you! I found it really interesting too! Some are ridiculous and others very funny! I think it’s really a case of mind over matter, but sure it wouldn’t help your sister to try! :-)

    Yes, to the British Library! I am in total agreeance with you there; they need to advertise more! Ah well, it was nice to finally go - i've been telling myself to go for the past three years!

    ReplyDelete